Today, at Nokia World in Abu Dhabi, Nokia unveiled its two new large screen smartphones, the Nokia Lumia 1520 and Lumia 1320. Both devices feature 6-inch screens to make the most of the enhanced Windows Phone Start screen and three columns for Live tiles allowing you to see and do more on the larger screen.
The Nokia Lumia 1520
The Nokia Lumia 1520 features a 1080p full HD screen, 20MP PureView camera with optical image stabilization, enhanced sensor technology, oversampling and outstanding zoom capabilities, along with the latest imaging app called Nokia Camera. You will also enjoy the new Nokia Storyteller app to relive your memories in a new and dynamic way and truly share better stories with your friends and family.
Nokia Lumia 1520
Nokia Storyteller automatically integrates the pictures from your phone with HERE location information and creates a chronological picture journey on a map. Look up points of interests, get contact information and check out user reviews all directly from Nokia Storyteller for an interactive experience. It also automatically plays back animated pictures, videos and smart photos so your stories truly come to life.
But the stories don’t stop with the Nokia apps alone. With Twitter Vine soon available for the first time for Windows Phone 8, you can capture and tweet short looping videos to share more via social media. Or maybe you just want to share all of your new photos and quick video clips. Now you can with Instagram for Windows Phone 8.
And to capture some stunning videos, the Lumia 1520 features Nokia Rich Recording with four microphones, providing directional stereo recording capability to capture distortion free audio from the preferred direction for clear, accurate sound. (We will have more information to share with you about the Lumia 1520’s audio capabilities soon.)
You will also find the new Nokia Beamer app to share content, like pictures, location on a map or even your camera viewfinder from your Lumia to any compatible screen – with people in the same room or even in another location by sending them a link via social media, email or SMS.
The Lumia 1520 is a genuine workhorse, too. It comes with Microsoft Office built in, so you can have the flexibility to work when you need to; and it includes a massive battery with integrated wireless charging (Qi compatible). This powerful combination means you can manage to easily log a whole day of work and enjoy entertainment like movies without worrying about finding a place to charge up.
The ability to show a third column on the Start screen isn’t just about scaling the experience of Windows Phone 8. It really is about getting to you favorite apps faster with less scrolling. For instance, the email app now shows one additional row of content in the Live tile, right on the Start screen.
Do you do a lot of video conferencing? The front-facing camera on the Lumia 1520 offers 1.2 HD 720p wide angle video so you’ll always look your best.
And, with the new Papyrus app coming to Windows Phone for the first time, you can easily take handwritten notes on your Nokia Lumia 1520.
This phone will also please the gamer in all of us. With the Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 processor and full 1080p HD display, graphics-intensive Xbox games will explode with action. You will also find 2GB RAM built in, 32GB of storage, plus the option to add a microSD card (up to 64GB), as well as 7GB of free SkyDrive cloud-based storage.
The Lumia 1520 features all the latest in display technology to make the beautiful six inch screen stand out, even in the brightest sunlight. With ClearBlack display technology, High Brightness Mode and assertive display technology by Apical, the screen offers a viewing experience to enjoy no matter what the light conditions are. And when winter rolls in, wearing gloves won’t prevent you from using the screen just as easily as before thanks to the super sensitive touch screen with Gorilla Glass 2.
According to Ilkka Husgafvel, the lead industrial designer for the Lumia 1520, “Purity was one of the main drivers in the creation of this device, along with understanding the scale available in the large screen. We aimed to create a device that feels thin and comfortable in the hand: it’s only 8.7mm deep.”
The phone features ceramic keys on the side, and subdued icons at the front. It will be available in four Lumia colors (white, yellow, red and black): the black phone is made of recycled materials.
Nokia Lumia 1520 Specs
- Operating System: Windows Phone 8 with the latest updates
- Networks: GSM/EDGE: 850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz; WCDMA: 850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz; ROW LTE: 1, 3, 7, 8, 20; USA LTE: 2, 4, 5, 7, 17; HSPA+: DL 42 Mbps (Cat 24) / UL 11.5 Mbps (Cat 7)
- Speed: LTE 150/50 mbps, DC-HSPA 42mbps
- Memory: 2GB RAM, 32 GB internal user memory; 7 GB SkyDrive cloud storage, micro SD card support up to 64GB
- Display: 6-inch full HD 1080p LCD , ClearBlack, High Brightness Mode, Sunlight readability, Super sensitive touch for glove and nail usage, Gorilla Glass 2
- Processor: 2.2GHz Quad Core Qualcomm Snapdragon 800
- Primary camera: PureView 20-megapixel Auto Focus ZEISS optics with Optical Image Stabilization (OIS), 2x lossless zoom, oversampling technology, dual LED flash, 1080p @ 30 fps full HD video with optical image stabilization
- Secondary Camera: HD 1.2-megapixel wide angle
- Size & weight: 162.8 x 85.4 x 8.7mm (volumetric). Weight: 209g
- Connectivity: NFC, A-GPS+GLONASS, WLAN (2.4/5Ghz) a/b/g/n/ac, μUSB, BT 4.0 LE, Accelerometer, Proximity sensor, Magnetometer, Gyroscope, Ambient Light Sensor
- Battery: 3400 mAh (integrated) with built-in wireless charging (Qi compatible)
- Audio: Rich Recording with four microphones; Wideband Voice and multi-microphone noise reduction with four microphones; Dolby(R) Headphone, Graphic equalizer, Audio leveling; FM radio
The Nokia Lumia 1320
Similar to the Lumia 1520 – and building on the affordability of the Lumia 520 – the new Nokia Lumia 1320 also features a 6-inch screen and a wealth of features at a lower price.
But this does not mean that there was a compromise on quality. The phone boosts a 720p HD screen made with Gorilla Glass 3, and features a super sensitive touch screen. It includes Nokia Music and HERE Maps for great music and location experiences, and welcomes both Nokia Camera and Nokia Storyteller apps, available in the Windows Phone Store.
Nokia Lumia 1320
With the latest apps, the best from Nokia, and the best from Microsoft supported by LTE connections you can make the most out of the bright large screen on the Lumia 1320. Sit back and relax while you play the latest Xbox games, read web content, or watch movies on the six inch screen. A wealth of content can be stored using the free 7GB of SkyDrive storage or with the addition of a micro SD card adding up to 64GB more space.
The Nokia Lumia 1520 is expected to begin selling this quarter in Hong Kong, Singapore, the United States, China and Europe (including Finland, France, Germany, and the UK), followed by other markets; and it has an estimated price of around USD 749 before local taxes and subsidies.
The Nokia Lumia 1320 will be available in a choice of orange, yellow, black, or white, and is planned to be available first in China and Vietnam in early 2014, followed by other Asian markets, India and European markets. It carries an estimated price of USD 339 before local taxes and subsidies.
Many of the new features and imaging innovations found in the Nokia Lumia 1520 and Nokia Lumia 1320 will be coming to existing Nokia Lumia smartphones running on Windows Phone 8 aligned with the next software update called “Lumia Black”. The update, including the latest Windows Phone update from Microsoft, is expected to begin rolling out in early 2014.
Nokia Lumia 1320 Specs
- Operating System: Windows Phone 8 with the latest updates
- Networks: LTE-ROW: GSM 850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz; WCDMA 850, 900, 2100 MHz; LTE 800, 1800, 2600; LTE-LTA: GSM 850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz; WCDMA 850, 1700, 1900, 2100 MHz; LTE 700, 850, 1700, 1900 MHz; HSPA+: GSM 850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz; WCDMA/HSPA + 900, 2100 MHz.
- Speed: LTE:3, 7, 20 bands – 100/50 Mbps (cat 3); DC-HSPA ROW: 42/5.76Mbps (cat 24 DL/Cat6 UL); HSPA+ CHINA: 21/5.76Mbps (Cat 14DL/Cat6 UL); GSM: EGPRS 236.8Kps
- Memory: 1GB RAM, 8GB internal user memory; 7GB SkyDrive cloud storage, micro SD card support up to 64GB
- Display: 6-inch HD LCD IPS (1280×720), Super sensitive touch support for glove and long nail use; Gorilla Glass 3
- Processor: 1.7GHz Dual-Core Qualcomm Snapdragon 400
- Primary camera: 5MP Auto Focus, flash. Video 1080p @ 30fps
- Secondary Camera: 0.3MP VGA.
- Size & weight: 164.25 x 85.9 x 9.79* mm (*volumetric). Weight: 220g
- Connectivity: BT 4.0 + LE, Micro-USB 2.0, 3.5mm AHJ, WIFI 802.11(2.4GHz b/g/n)
- Battery: 3400 mAh (integrated)
- Audio: 1 HAAC mic; 3.5mm AV connector, HD Voice; FM Radio